We will begin our walk at the Centre for the Meeting of Cultures
The 5-storey high Opera House with over 1200 square meters of usable area is at the core of the building, designed by Bolesław Stelmach. Two-storey high roofs and rooftop walking paths invite visitors. Apart from the cityscape they offer, the rooftops also house beehives kept by the Urban Art Apiary.
The Saxon Garden
The oldest city park in Lublin, founded in 1837 according to design by engineer Feliks Bieczyński and arranged in English style. In February 2012 its thorough revitalization was initialized, which ended in 2013. One of the most beautiful locations for walks in Lublin.
The Soldier’s House at ul. Żwirki i Wigury 6
Built between 1924 and 1928. It was built with use of bricks from the demolished Orthodox Exaltation of the Holy Cross Sobor, which once stood at the Litewski Square. The celebrative opening of the Soldier’s House took place in 1933. After Second World War it housed, among others, an Operetta House and a cinema. Today it houses the Garrison Public Prosecutor’s Office, a military club and a library.
Building of the Towarzystwo Kredytowe Ziemskie [Landlords’ Bank Society] at ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 43
Built between 1874 and 1876, designed by Julian Ankiewicz, it was considered the most beautiful building in the city. What is worth noting are the original window and door frames, and the relief-covered entry door. On the second floor we find a classicist fireplace, made of Szydłowiec marble, and also a 19th century decorative furnace. Today the building houses the Regional Court in Lublin.
Morski Family Palace at ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 62
Built in the 2nd half of 18th century. In 1864 Robert Moritz and Alexander McLeod located their small factory of agricultural tools there. After 1917 the building housed the Merchants’ Club. After the war, in 1944 it briefly housed the “Pszczółka” radio station.
Lublinianka Hotel – former building of the Bank of Lublin Industrialists at ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 56
Designed by Gustaw Landau Gutenger and built in 1900 this majestic building has two interesting elevations – one at Krakowskie Przedmieście and one at Kołłątaja. The corner is decorated with a dome with lantern. During the Second World War the building served as the German House. In 1951 the State Treasury arranged a hotel there.
Three Palaces - Litewski Square
The baroque Palace of Czartoryski Family was designed at the turn of 17th and 18th century by the famous Flemish architect, Tylman of Gameren. In 1911 a square was added where a roller skating rink was constructed, and later a cinema. The palace was largely destroyed during the Second World War. After renovation it regained its baroque style. Today it houses the Lublin Scientific Society and the Lublin Branch of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Lubomirski Palace (Former Radziwiłł Palace)
The Lubomirski Palace is located at the Litewski square, between the Czartoryski Palace and the Government Palace. It dates back to 16th century, and its present form is the result of the 1829 UMCS Political Science Faculty.
The Lublin Government Palace (also known as the Voivodeship Committee palace, or Governor’s palace)
In the second half of 19th century the Lubomirski palace, seat of the Lublin regional government ceased to be sufficient for the growing office. The new palace was designed in an eclectic style. The building survived in almost unchanged condition. It now houses the UMCS Faculty of Psychology.
The Cracow Gate [Brama Krakowska]
The Cracow Gate was butli the 14th century, as part of town walls. Its name comes from the historic route that led from Cracow, through Lublin and further north to Vilnius. The octagonal, plastered tower was built in 16th century. The structure is covered with a baroque helm roof with a SAR /Stanislaus Augustus Rex/ monogram and the date 1782, which are the result of rebuilding works carried out by Dominik Merlini. The current appearance of the gate is the result of conservation and construction works of 1959-64, when its historic appearance was restored and the interiors adopted for the needs of the Museum of the History of Lublin.
The Old Town
The Old Town enchants mainly with its privacy. The historic walls house many historic monuments from different ages. The Crown Tribunal, the Parish Church Square, the Old Theatre… Renascence town houses of Konopnicowie or Lobomelscy families attract special attention with their rich details.
The Town Gate [Brama Grodzka]
Used to guard a passage in the town walls. It also connected the Christian and the Jewish town, and was thus frequently named the “Jewish Gate”. At the end of 18th century the Ordering (Boni Ordinis) Committee ordering its rebuilding in classicist stile and its defensive functions were removed. This is reminded by the date: MDCCLXXXV and the SAR (Stanislaus Augustus Rex – King Stanisław August) monogram, visible from the side of Old Town.
End of tour: The Lublin Castle
Built on the Castle Hill by Kasimir the Great in the 1st half of 14th century the gothic castle was ruined during the wars of late 17th century and demolished in 18th century. Only the 13th century, Roman style Keep, the gothic Holy Trinity chapel and a fragment of gothic tower, the so called Jewish tower remained. The current, neo-gothic complex was constructed between 1824 and 1826 as a prison, used by Russian and Austrian occupation forces, and later by the Polish and Polish People’s Republic authorities, until 1954.
What is also worth visiting:
Open Air Village Museum
The Open Air Village Museum in Lublin with its picturesque location in the valley of Czechówka River is one of the biggest open air museums in Poland. The exhibition is divided in the following sectors: Lublin Upland, Vistula Valley, Podlasie, Bug Valley, Roztocze Highland, mansion and the provincial town of Central Europe. It also has two wooden temples: a Greek-Catholic and a Roman Catholic church.
UMCS Botanical Garden
The garden is situated in the Valley of Czechówka River. Currently the garden collection includes over 1600 species of trees and bushes, over 3300 green, soil-planted plants and some 1600 greenhouse species. The gentry mansion that was carefully rebuilt inside the garden belonged, in the second half of 18th century, to Jan Nepomucen Kościuszko, uncle of Tadeusz Kościuszko.
Majdanek State Museum
Founded in autumn of 1944, in the former German concentration camp that was active from October 1941 till July 1944. The museum includes prisoner barracks, crematory, guard towers, museum exhibitions, a mausoleum and the Monument to Martyrdom and Struggle.
Cefarm Pharmacy Museum in Lublin
Since 1988 the museum is located in a town house at ul. Grodzka 5a. The interior of former pharmacy is recreated with 19th century furniture, cabinets full of old pharmaceutical containers and scales, and also cans, flasks and blankets.
Juliusz Osterwa Theatre
One of the oldest theaters in Poland. The building designed by Karol Kozłowski was built in just 2 years from 1886, exclusively for funds raised publically. It was built by “Citizens of Lublin – for themselves” on the initiative of Lublin intelligentsia, industrialists, merchants and landlords.
Former Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva
The synagogue, together with the whole Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva complex was built in 1930. Apart from the religious functions the synagogue acted as a lecturing hall for over 200 students of the yeshiva. The synagogue was officially re-opened after renovation on February 11th, 2007.
More information about Lublin and local attractions (sources):